Friday, March 09, 2007

New enthusiasms - dance and blogs

I always wondered what the appeal of this blog-writing thing was but since I finally went for it and made one of my own I have been exploring other people´s thoughts, pictures and stories and playing with my own. Its´s fun. How can it be harder to write a scientific paper with a pre-determined outline with pre-determined language guidelines than it is to write an ad-hoc freestyle piece of prose about something far more personal?

I have the same question about my more long-standing obsession. Disco dances were always a minor trauma in my teenage years and clubs are still almost as horrifying despite now being aged over 30. The idea of having to make up a dance was just too much even when the music was inspring and it was hard to stop your bottom wiggling or toes tapping. Now, ceilidh dances with set steps or even ballroom dancing were more my thing. More recently there is tango which is fairly constrained and mostly it is the man that has to be inspired. But now.. belly dancing and salsa. Have a go girls (or boys) - they are both wonderful. And you can celebrate all those curves or your beautifully flat tummy. And you can improvise, feel sexy and sneak in a bit of exercise into life without really trying.

Maybe by the time I´m 70 I´ll be out there in the nightclubs taking my place on the floor having finally taken to improvisation and spend my days writing stories of all the adventures I´ve had and those I´ll still be planning.

Anyway, what better way to brighten up the long dark nights of winter. It is March now, nights are taking longer to set in but it is still cold and the wind gets into all the gaps between your buttons and into the creases in your scarf. I can see that spring is on its way but it is creeping its green fingers very slowly into the north. Perhaps scared of frostbite.

You can find out more about belly dancing in Iceland here and salsa here. Good dance pages in Scotland can be found through Edinburgh Salsa.

No comments: