Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A strange bright light in the sky

My family have been visiting us in Iceland. We live in a matchbox so they have been moving around, staying in my bed while Óli was away in Denmark teaching Strip the Willow to Icelanders and Danes, being looked after by Óli´s folks in Kópavogur and now with my sister trying out the Hotel Cabin.. each with a cabin sized room.

The weather has been glorious, we´ve sat outside most days to eat, my sister can´t sleep because of the light and we gave up trying to sleep through the bright nights and finally bought some blackout curtains. It took some time to find some without blue trains or pink fairies but I made it in the end once the sales assistant realised I meant they were for me, a funny foreigner who wants to cut out that light and sleep through the night rather than party in the 24 hour daylight.

There is something strange going on in Iceland. We´ve had sun .. real, warm sun, sit in your smallest little summer dress type sun, get pink shoulders and a silly pink tip to your nose type sun.. for weeks and weeks. I don´t want it to go away. It is of course now too hot to sit inside our matchbox house with no ventilation but we are living in the garden, which I like.

No comments: