Friday, April 20, 2007

Lab life


It's a Friday night and I am here, up there, above. I wish I could capture the buzz of the air conditoning the whirring of the instrument and the black black blackness of the view outside. Insdide it seems a grey world on the surface. Yet, I have been searching for points of colour as I wait for calibration.



I don't mind. After a while this little world becomes cosy and safe. And it's worth it .. I expect greatness from these results. Making connections where none were visible before, a great puzzle coming together. Jigsaws of lines of evidence, strands of impressions, sketches in notebooks, maps and on my brain blending and weaving into a story to tell. The life and desires of a palaenvironmental detective.

Meanwhile, microwave ready meals, pickled onion Monster Munch, pretty pink fairy cakes and Coca Cola keep me going, buzzing into the night.

Meanwhile sad news from "home" - a major fire and a burst hot water pipe both in downtown Reykjavik. Some people were badly scolded by the hot water running down Laugavegur. The fire has destroyed some of Reykjavik's oldest buildings.

No comments: